Parish Profile

Blessed with a congregation of diverse talents and interests, St. Paul’s offers traditional and contemporary forms of Episcopal worship, educational programs for children and adults, and touches many lives in the greater community of Benicia through a variety of outreach programs.

Parish History
Vestry
Annual Report








Parish History

The Parish of St. Paul’s was officially organized on February 13, 1855, when its first Vestry was elected. St. Paul’s is the third oldest Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Northern California preceded only by St. Paul’s, Sacramento in 1849, and St. John’s, Marysville in 1854.

In July of 1859, Lt. McAlister drew up plans for a new church building that was constructed during November and December of that year. Services have been held in it since without interruption. The beautiful and distinctive church building of St. Paul’s went through five stages of development:

Stage I 1859 - The church was a small square building with a flat roof. The nave was only about half the size it is today.
Stage II 1863 - The present transepts were built. The famous vaulted ceiling was constructed by Norwegian shipwrights, who built it exactly like the hull of a ship, upside down.
Stage III 1872 - An organ chamber was added to the north transept where the present organ is now located.
Stage IV 1873 - The nave was extended 24 feet to the west, making it the present place.
Stage V 1886 - The present, greatly enlarged chancel-sanctuary was added and the old chancel became the present sacristy.

The Parish Hall (once called the Guild Hall) was built in 1882, and has gone through very little modification since that time. The present kitchen was built in 1949.

The “Old Rectory,” which is now used as parish offices, was a late 18th century house owned by Julian McAlister’s family in Connecticut. It was dismantled in 1863, shipped around the Horn to San Francisco, then by barge to Benicia, and rebuilt on the present site.

(Back to the top)







Vestry

The Vestry of St. Paul’s is made up of the Rector, nine elected members of the Parish and an appointed Treasurer. Vestry members serve three-year terms that are staggered for the sake of continuity in Parish programs. According to the canons and customs of the Episcopal Church the Vestry has three primary responsibilities. The first two involve stewardship of Parish finances and buildings. The third responsibility involves selection of individuals to fill various positions of Parish leadership and representation. Those seeking to serve St. Paul’s in this important ministry must be mature in their faith, a regular attendee and contributor, and be willing to offer their personal gifts of time and talent to enhance the ministry of St. Paul’s. The Vestry holds business meetings once every month.

(Back to the top)


Fred Railsback
Senior Warden
Bill Smiglewski
Junior Warden
Allison Connor
Clerk
David Sells Jackie French Edie Westphal


Art Schipper
Treasurer
Carole Johnson
Assistant Treasurer
Chris Mader
Steve Rodekohr
Tom Mader
Pledge Clerk




(Back to the top)







Annual Report
Click on an Annual Report below to download the PDF:

Year File
2012 2012 Annual Report.pdf
2011 2011 Annual Report Web.pdf
2010 2010 TR Annual Report Summary.pdf
2010 2010 Annual Report Web.pdf



(Back to the top)