Vestry Meeting Minutes

April 17, 2018

***NEXT MEETING MAY 15, 2018***

Follow up items:

  • Pride Sunday is scheduled for 6/24/18.  What is the status of a pride flag for the St. Paul’s sign?
  • Del will talk with Mary Frances Kelly Poh about including the parishioner who has volunteered to assist in the church garden in future garden projects and on-going maintenance.   
  • Rev. Beth should have designated space in the Vestry Meeting agenda for her report.   
  • There is an opportunity to get some audio equipment from a church that has closed.  Barbara will talk to Bob Hall about whether or not this would work for us.    
  • Ski will look into local companies that can engrave bricks/pavers.
  • Mark will look into getting St. Paul’s registered with Guide Star so that companies can potentially provide matching funds to some of our projects. 
  • Fr. Peter will talk with Rev. Anne Clarke about the possibility of having Mary Palmer (Invite, Welcome, Connect) present a workshop/training for the Diocese.
  • Fr. Peter will talk with JoAnn about an automated call regarding the Friday Contemplative Prayer service. 
  • Barbara circulated a Vestry Sunday Host list and will give the list to JoAnn so she can include that information in the Sunday service sheets.

 

Present:  Rev. Peter Champion, Rev. Beth Gaines, Barbara Jewell, Charlie Kilbourne , Del Baker-Medlock, Kim Rodekohr, Mark Sally, Art Schipper (Treasurer), Anne Seed, Bill Smiglewski, David White

Absent: Yann Jouvenot

 

The April Vestry meeting on April 17, 2018 was called to order at 6:54 p.m.  Mark shared an opening reading about living each day intentionally.  

 

The consent calendar was approved, including:

  • Minutes of 3/20/18 Vestry meeting, with correction of Art Schipper (Treasurer) not being in attendance.
  • Treasurer’s Report (attached)

 

 

Special Reports

  • POP update:  We are slowly, but surely, collecting more parties; have approximately 12 parties to date and hoping for at least 20.  It isn’t easy going.  Kim and Yann are handling the food and coffee hour set ups; Anne is focusing on the parties.  It is at least a two person job.   Tom Mader will collect cash, check and credit card after each service for the parties.
  • Pride Sunday is scheduled for 6/24/18.  What is the status of a pride flag for the St. Paul’s sign?
  • Audit of church books to take place on 5/22/18 and vestry members are welcome to attend.

 

Interim Rector’s Report

  • Please see attached report from Fr. Peter. 
  • The Fund for Sacred Places grant, as a source of funding for the stained glass restoration project, will require attendance at a training session and must include a detailed fund-raising plan.  The vestry approved a $500 honoriaum for Dr. Donn Morgan for the Lenten Series he facilitated for St. Paul’s.  The check should be given to Fr. Peter, so he can write a personal note of thanks to Dr. Morgan. 

 

 Senior Warden’s Report

  •   Fr. Peter and Barbara are working on updating the employee contracts. 
  • Fr. Peter talked to Grace Cathedral about the stained glass renovations they have made and the company, Nzilani, has been recommended to review the project and give us an estimate of associated costs. 
  • Review of the current Weight Watchers contract is still on-going. 
  • Barbara reviewed restrictions in the DeWeese Memorial and reported:  “Any interest which is not used shall be added to principal.  After the first year, interest from the fund may be used for salaries for adult youth leaders or ministers, in the sole discretion of the Rector and Vestry.”  So we can pay Beckie Pelkey for KVA related activities from this fund. 

 

Junior Warden’s Report

  • A parishioner has volunteered to work in the church gardens.  Del will talk with Mary Frances Kelly Poh about including him in future garden projects and maintenance.       

 

Ministry Reports

 

 Other Business

  • Rev. Beth is asking for St. Paul’s support with Benicia Community Congregational for their 2ndSaturday community breakfast, held in Vallejo.  She wants to raise money and buy 5 portable tables and 20 chairs so the guests attending the breakfast have a place to sit and eat their meal and to engage in fellowship.  She asked about storing the chairs and tables in the shed and Del indicated that there is space to do so. 
  • There is an opportunity to get some audio equipment from a church that has closed.  Barbara will talk to Bob Hall about whether or not this would work for us.    
  • On-going discussion about copier vendor selection.
  • The tech person who works with David in his office has been in communication with JoAnn about her computer updates that are needed.  He has recommended hardware that will cost approximately $1,114.97.  This expenditure was approved by the vestry.
  • Barbara was not able to get helpful information from her contact place in Danville regarding the brick/paver project.  Ski will look into local companies who do this.
  • Mark Sally talked briefly about matching funds from participating companies and how this could financially benefit St. Paul’s.  The church needs to register with Guide Star.  Mark will look into this.    
  • Kim said that she was able to connect with Mary Palmer, Invite, Welcome, Connect.  While M. Palmer would entertain the possibility of doing a worship/training for St. Paul’s, she would also consider doing a session open for all in the Diocese.  Fr. Peter will follow up with Rev. Anne Clarke about this. 
  • Fr. Peter will talk with JoAnn about an automated call regarding the Friday Contemplative Prayer service. 

 

The April vestry meeting was adjourned at 8:36 p.m. with closing prayer.

 

Submitted, Anne Seed, Vestry Clerk