Vestry Meeting Minutes August 21, 2018
  ***NEXT MEETING SEPTEMBER 18 , 2018***
SNACKS AND DEVOTION – Yann  
Follow up items:
  1. Ask Rev. Annie to consider the possibility of reinstating the Adult Forum between services.
  2. Fr. Peter will ask Judy Furlong if she would be willing to coordinate a visit to the Schoenstein & Co. piano factory, based in the Benicia Industrial Park.   
  3. Continue discussion about adult leadership for SSP. 
  4. We must notify the copier company of our intent to not renew the lease 30 days prior to 12/8/18.  Yann put a reminder in his smart phone. 
  5. Update regarding fire inspection violations at September vestry meeting. 

    Present:  Rev. Peter Champion, Barbara Jewell, Charlie Kilbourne , Del Baker-Medlock, Kim Rodekohr, Mark Sally, Art Schipper (Treasurer), Anne Seed, Yann Jouvenot-Sells, Bill Smiglewski Absent:  Beth Gaines, David White   The August 2018 vestry meeting was called to order at 7:03 p.m.  Most of the vestry took a tour of the bathroom renovation project and of the nursery.  Barbara shared a brief meditation and a discussion on civil discourse ensued.      The consent calendar was approved, including:

  • Minutes of 7/17/18 Vestry meeting 
  • Treasurer’s Report, July 2018 

  Special Treasurer’s Report Art reviewed the Revised 2018 Budget (attached).  Discussion regarding the deficit budget we are projecting for 2018 and a reminder of the one-time grant of $10,000 from the Diocese.  A motion was made and seconded to approve the Revised 2018 Budget.  Motion passed.  A motion was made and seconded to approve $40,000 per year housing allocation for Rev. Annie.  This amount will be prorated for the remainder of 2018.  Motion passed.     Interim Rector’s Report (attached)

  • The vestry did not approve the metal detecting request on the church property that had been requested.
  • Fr. Peter will ask Judy Furlong if she would be willing to coordinate a visit to the Schoenstein & Co. piano factory, based in the Benicia Industrial Park.   
  • Del has a call in to the tree trimmers regarding the palm trees that continue to shed their dried fronds. 
  • Fr. Peter shared that he believes the vestry needs to work on stronger communication with the congregation. 

                    Deacon’s Report – No report.   Senior Warden’s Report

  • Status on Weight Watchers’ contract revision:  We have a contract; $100 per meeting. 
  • Possible new banner sign:  Hold off ordering for now.   This might be an opportunity for an Adult Forum topic that might possibility include watching an Integrity video.     
  • 8/26/18 will be Fr. Peter’s last Sunday with us.  Details decided on include:  1 joint service at 10:00 a.m. to be followed by a finger-food potluck; cake, paper products and bulletin announcements (Anne).  Del will handle kitchen details day-of.  Thank you cards (Anne).  Remarks (Barbara).  Special recognition (Kim).  Set up/clean up crews set. 
  • Rev. Annie’s first Sunday with us will be 9/2/18.   She wants the Sunday service schedule to remain as is for that Sunday.  Mark Sally, vestry host, will ask for volunteers to host coffee hour after each service. 
  • Rev. Mary contacted Barbara about St. Paul’s parishioners volunteering as poll workers for upcoming elections and possibly donating that money back to St. Paul’s.  The vestry thought this was a great idea. 

   Junior Warden’s Report

  • Fire Inspection – there were 3 violations and Del is taking care of correcting them.  We will receive an update at the September vestry meeting. 

        Special Reports/Discussion Items

  • Location of vendor for Brick/Paver project – Ski’s calls haven’t been returned.
  • Review of proposal re the copier contract  – We will stay with the current copies until the end of the current lease, 3/15/19.  We must notify the copier company of our intent to not renew the lease 30 days prior to 12/8/18.  Yann put a reminder in his smart phone. 
  • Status of child abuse and sexual harassment prevention training – Ski, Mark, David, Kim and Yann need to complete (start) the process. 
  • Peddler’s Fair went well; some complaints. 

  New Business

  • Much discussion on adult leadership for SSP.  Steve has someone who is interested and who he recommends, but Tom is not a member of the church, so we will have to think about the position in a different way (i.e., job description, communication of line of authority and supervision, etc.).  This all needs to be finalized by October 2018. 
  • Rectory Bathroom Renovations – The vestry did not wish to have a CASP inspection. 
  • Dawson Urban will not be able to attend Diocesan Convention as one of our elected lay delegates; Katie McGovern is 1st alternate and Anne will ask her if she is willing to attend. 
  The August vestry meeting was adjourned at 9:20 p.m. Fr. Peter shared a closing prayer.  
Submitted, Anne Seed, Vestry Clerk