Vestry Meeting Minutes December 18, 2018 ***NEXT VESTRY MEETING, JANUARY 15, 2019, 7:00 P.M.*** Follow up items:

  1.      Rev. Annie will make sure that the Rector’s Housing/Salary split resolution is presented to the vestry annually.
  2.       It was suggested that we have a brief sharing (not problem solving) about the topic of what it means to be a welcoming church at vestry meetings moving forward.   
  3.      Yann agreed to speak to Lisa Pena and Richard Padfield to see if they will take the leadership roles in the organization of some type of event for the church in 2019.
  4.       Specific logistics for the January 27, 2019 Annual Meeting will need to be discussed at the January 2019 vestry meeting.  Reminder: one service at 10:00 a.m., followed by potluck and Annual Meeting. Anne will buy paper products and Del will coordinate the kitchen and food set up.  A clean-up crew will be needed.
  5.       Vestry nominations.  David will speak to Wendy Peterson and Jeanne Brown about their willingness to serve on vestry.  Del will speak to Heather Healy and Ken Nowinski.  Anne will contact Donna Patey and Helen Kennedy.  We should hear back from possible nominees by 1/5/19.
  6.       Del will survey the parish families and try to get a handle on what people are thinking and wanting to do with regard to the traditional parish Winter Weekend.  

Present:   Rev. Beth Gaines, Barbara Jewell, Charlie Kilbourne, Rev. Annie Pierpoint Mertz, Del Baker-Medlock, Kim Rodekohr, Art Schipper (Treasurer), Anne Seed, Yann Jouvenot-Sells, Bill Smiglewski, David White Absent: Mark Sally    Call to Order The December 2018 vestry meeting was called to order at 7:02 p.m.  Barbara shared an opening meditation. Consent Calendar A motion was made by David, with a 2nd from Barbara, to approve the 11/18/18 vestry meeting minutes as presented.  Motion passed. A motion was made by Rev. Annie as follows: o   Whereas, the Reverend Annie Pierpoint Mertz is compensated by St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Benicia, exclusively for services as a minister of the gospel; and Whereas, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church does not provide Rev. Annie with a rectory; therefore, it is hereby Resolved, that the total compensation paid to Rev. Annie for calendar year 2019 shall be $80,000, of which $40,000 is hereby designated to be a housing allowance; and it is further Resolved, that the designation of $40,000 as a housing allowance shall apply to calendar year 2019 and all future years unless otherwise provided.   The motion received a 2nd from Kim and was passed. A motion was made by Del, with a 2nd from Barbara, to approve the Treasurer’s Report, November 2018 (attached).  Motion passed. Reports Rector’s Report (attached) Deacon’s Report (no report) – Del spoke very highly of the breakfast ministry that Deacon Beth is part of in Vallejo. Senior Warden’s Report (attached) Junior Warden’s Report (attached) Special Reports/Discussion Items A motion was made by Rev. Annie, with a 2nd from Barbara, to approve the proposed 2019 Budget (attached).  Motion passed. This is the budget that will be presented at the Annual Meeting in January 2019. The vestry is committed to working towards a yearly (2019, 2020 and 2021) increase in JoAnn’s salary; the 2019 budget has the salary set at $21.00 per hour. Party of Parties discussion.  The general thought was that we might need to “revitalize” and “reinvent” the event designed to contribute to the yearly deficit reduction fund.  A gala of some sort, that might include some parties, was suggested. Yann agreed to speak to Lisa Pena and Richard Padfield to see if they will take the leadership roles in the organization of some type of event for the church in 2019. Banner Task Force.  Yann reviewed the recommendations of the Banner Task Force (Yann, Del and Judy).  The report is attached as part of the Vestry Reports. Much discussion. Rev. Annie encouraged us, as much as possible to separate the discussion of the banner from the discussion about the Pride flag.  But Rev. Annie also expressed definitive support in the vestry decision to raise the Pride flag on a permanent basis and remains fully supportive and committed to that decision. The conclusion, with the banner, was that we will pause on this project for a short bit, spend the time in reflection and prayer around what it means to be a welcome and inclusive church and pick the discussion up again in spring 2019 after Rev. Annie returns from her maternity leave.  We want this to be an intentional process about how we welcome and include all guests and newcomers. It was suggested that we have a brief sharing (not problem solving) about the topic of what it means to be a welcoming church at vestry meetings moving forward. Vestry Nominations.  Thank you to Anne and Del who are rotating off vestry and to Kim for her one year term.  A big thanks to Art as he retires from serving as Treasurer and his attendance at vestry meetings.  Kim (finishing her one year vestry term) is willing to be considered for a 3-year term starting in 2019.  David will speak to Wendy Peterson and Jeanne Brown about their willingness to serve on vestry. Del will speak to Heather Healy and Ken Nowinski.  Anne will contact Donna Patey and Helen Kennedy. Discussion about putting only 3 names forward at the Annual Meeting vs. a larger slate of candidates.  Rev. Annie encouraged us to present a larger slate of candidates. All proposed nominees are for a 3-year term. New Business.  Del brought up the conversations he has had with people regarding St. Paul’s Winter Weekend.  Are we going to try to do something in February 2019 or at a different time? And if so, where?  Del will survey the parish families and try to get a handle on what people are thinking and wanting to do.      A motion was made by Kim, with a 2nd from Yann, to adjourn the December 2018 vestry meeting.  Motion passed and the meeting was adjourned at 9:14 p.m. Submitted, Anne Seed, Vestry Clerk

December 2018

Vestry Reports   Rector’s Report: Rev. Annie Pierpoint Mertz Calendar Fri. 12/21 – Annie’s maternity leave begins; Blue Christmas service @ 7pm Sun. 12/23 – Peter’s maternity leave coverage begins Mon. 12/24 – Wed. 1/2 Office Closed   Bishop’s Search Walkabouts (Times TBD):  

Date Church
Mon. 1/21/19 Incarnation, Santa Rosa
Tues. 1/22/19 St. John’s, Chico
Wed. 1/23/19 Christ Church, Eureka
Thurs. 1/24/19 St. Martin’s, Davis
Fri. 1/25/19 Trinity Cathedral, Sacto

  Sun. 1/27 – Annual Meeting; all-church 10:00am Worship and Potluck 2/9 – Bishop’s Election Convention, 8:30 AM Faith Episcopal Church, Cameron Park CA   Highlights  

  • Maternity Leave Status
  • Bishop’s Election Convention

  Review of Last Month

  • Interfaith Service on 11/20, Installation on 11/30
  • Fresh Start & Clergy Quiet day @ Bishops Ranch, 12/5-6
  • Deanery Clericus (a.k.a. Clergy gathering), 12/11
  • Launch of Advent Adventures
  • Re-boot of Parish Prayer list

Current Goals/Projects

  • Winding down for Maternity Leave
    1. Clarification: Time off before delivery is NOT considered maternity leave, and therefore not covered by Church Insurance; sick leave/vacation must be used.
    2. Amount of sick leave and vacation available: 10 days (pro-rated for 4 months of work since Sept.)
  • Preparing roadmap for Peter – met with him 12/17 to clarify projects and expectations

    Deacon’s Report Rev. Beth Gaines   Senior Warden’s Report Barbara Jewell The Benicia Historic Preservation Review Commission approved our application to repair both harlequin windows with metal cames instead of wood muntins at its regularly scheduled hearing on 12/6/18.  We have two years to complete the work.  Our preferred stained glass artisan, Geraldine Ensminger, is not going to be available for several months.  We are waiting on a bid from Russo Window, another contractor introduced to us by Tony Haughey.  Before we actually start construction, we are required to provide shop drawings to the commission for review.  The chair wants the exterior to look as much as possible like the present exterior—we will have to consult with the artisan we select to find out what is possible. In the meantime, Rainbow Construction is going to install plexiglass on both sides of the south transept window, to protect people and the window. On behalf of the Historic Trust, I am going to ask Larry Heltsley of Rainbow Construction to inspect the bell tower and advise on what we need to do there because the bell cable, and surrounding wood are showing signs of wear. I am going to ask Russo Window to give us a bid for reglazing the exterior window of the sacristy.  It is in very bad shape.   Junior Warden’s Report Del Baker-Medlock Del will be around this week making some repairs; in the meantime, please pray for his speedy and complete recovery after removal of a tumor.   Special Report: Banner Task Force Yann, Del, and Judy _ While the majority of the responses from the survey were positive (some were flat out enthusiastic!), there is a significant number (over a third) that were negative. A few of those conflated the banner with the rainbow flag, and were opposed to both. _ A good number of the negative answers were opposed to the design of the banner, but some also expressed opposition to the message.  _ After reviewing the feedback from the congregation, we all agreed that it would be better to abandon the banner in its current shape. Had the question not been asked via survey, we could have implemented that, but since we consulted the congregation and we did not get unanimous support, it could be potentially damaging to continue forward with the current design (there is a good chance that people won’t take too well the argument that, if St Paul were a direct democracy, they simply lost the vote).  _ Because the message is still worthy and relevant (and directly pulled from Matthew), an idea could be to ask for volunteers from the congregation to come up with a new design for a similar banner. This can be a quilt, or even a temporary banner to raise up on Sundays in from of the church.  _ Regarding the reaction to the rainbow flag, it was recommended to publish the write up that was used on the day it was raised (potentially make that a paragraph in the program, and leave it there for several weeks) in order to reach everyone. Judy volunteered to preach about it, as well. We should also identify people (I volunteer myself, but I’m sure Annie and others will do the same) to answer the concerns that anybody in the congregation may have