Vestry Meeting Minutes

February 20, 2018

 

***NEXT MEETING MARCH 20, 2018***

SNACKS AND DEVOTION – ????

 

Follow up items:

  1. Barbara suggested a future discussion on activities we might be able to do combat racism and promote an environment of inclusion as an agenda item for the March vestry meeting.   
  2. St. Paul’s will need to host a “Listening Event” for parishioners about the Bishop search process in the near future.   Anne will check with the Bishop Search Committee and contact the other Lay Delegates to Convention about scheduling this event.
  3. Is follow up needed with Heritage Presbyterian regarding the 3/21/18 event?
  4. Del and Yann will communicate the Vestry’s priority that our new Rector be open to and supportive of Deacon Beth’s ministry at St. Paul’s to the Applicant Review Committee.
  5. The thermostat in the Parish Hall seems to not be working.  Del will investigate and replace as needed.     
  6. SAVE THE DATE:  Sunday, March 11, 2018, vestry planning meeting, 1:00-5:00 p.m.. location to be determined. 
  7. Fr. Peter will ask JoAnn if the alarm system has been registered with the Benicia Police Department.
  8. Kim will ask the Holy Land pilgrims if they will be willing to organize the Party of Parties (including date and theme selection, advertising, food and party solicitation). 
  9. Review the 2017 Parochial Report.
  10. Barbara will check with an organization in Danville to see who makes their bricks/pavers. 
  11. Copier vendor selection and selection of computer and monitor for JoAnn will be an email discussion.
  12. Del volunteered to research possible grants for historical buildings that we might be able to apply for. 

 

Present:  Rev. Peter Champion, Del Baker-Medlock, Yann Jouvenot, Barbara Jewell, Charlie Kilbourne, Kim Rodekohr, Mark Sally, Art Schipper (Treasurer), Anne Seed, Bill Smiglewski, David White

 

The February Vestry meeting on February 21, 2018 was called to order at 6:59 p.m. Barbara read a selection from a book, “My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She’s Sorry” by Fredrik Backman and concluded her devotion with The Prayer of St. Brendan, The Navigator.  May St. Brendan inspire us to be faithful as we share the adventure of awaiting the arrival of our next Rector.

 

The consent calendar was approved, including:

Minutes of 1/11/18 Vestry meeting

Treasurer’s Report (attached)

Interim Rector Housing Resolution (attached)

 

Special Reports:

  1.  Report on Anti-Racism Training, January 27, 2018, Faith, Cameron Park – Several vestry persons were in attendance.  Opinions, in general, were mixed.  It seemed like the facilitators tried to cover too much complex information, in a restrictive amount of time.  There was a strong desire for concrete next steps on creating a more inclusive parish.  Barbara suggested a future discussion on activities we might be able to do combat racism and promote an environment of inclusion as an agenda item for the March vestry meeting.   
  2. Bishop Search Listening Event, February 10, 2018, Incarnation, Santa Rosa – Attended by Anne Seed, Lay Delegate to Diocesan Convention.  St. Paul’s will need to host a similar Listening Event in the near future.   Anne will check with the Search Committee and contact the other Lay Delegates to Convention about this.  Anne reported a positive experience; general impressions were:
  • The Search Committee CARES.   They want to hear from us!
  • I am concerned about children and youth voices being heard.
  • I am hopeful and positive  in our selection of a new Bishop!
  • Although to me, there was not much diversity in the group gathered at the Listening Event, the opinions and thoughts and expressed sentiments were very diverse.
  • I think the Search Committee are godly, solid, spiritually-grounded persons.  I think we are in good hands.

 

Interim Rector’s Report

  • Please see attached from Fr. Peter.
  • Diaconal Matters:  Del and Yann will communicate the Vestry’s priority that our new Rector be open to and supportive of Deacon Beth’s ministry at St. Paul’s to the Applicant Review Committee.
  • Program with Heritage Presbyterian:  As part of an ongoing program at Heritage Presbyterian, Make the World a Better Place, Fr. Peter will be the guest speaker on Wednesday. March 21, 7:00-8:30 p.m.  Topic:  WHY CAN’T WE JUST GET ALONG? A frank discussion of privilege, prejudice and bullying and how these vexing problems can be minimized or even eliminated.  A motion was made and approved to co-sponsor this event with Heritage Presbyterian.  This will likely include internal advertising, announcements to encourage people to attend and possibly contributing some refreshments. 

 Senior Warden’s Report

  •  Fr. Peter excused himself and Barbara presented a proposed salary adjustment to the vestry, see attached.  A motion was made and approved to increase Fr. Peter’s salary $400.12 per month, effective 3/1/18. 

 

Junior Warden’s Report

  • There is a toilet problem that needs to be addressed.
  • The thermostat in the Parish Hall seems to not be working.  Del will investigate and replace as needed.     

 

Ministry Reports

  • Youth and Family Ministry:  Winter Weekend (at the Beach) was a great success!  Discussion about moving the weekend to a different time of year to allow the group to more thoroughly enjoy the outdoor opportunities on the river/coast.
  • Del and Yann will work together as vestry liaisons to the Youth and Family Ministries.     

 

 Other Business

  • SAVE THE DATE:  Sunday, March 11, 2018, vestry planning meeting, 1:00-5:00 p.m.. location to be determined. 
  • Fr. Peter shared the “Recognition” pictures from Benicia Happenings.  The Community Meal and Peddler’s Fair were recognized.
  • Fr. Peter will ask JoAnn if the alarm system has been registered with the Benicia Police Department.
  • Kim will ask the Holy Land pilgrims if they will be willing to organize the Party of Parties (including date and theme selection, advertising, food and party solicitation). 
  • More time is needed to review the 2017 Parochial Report before it is submitted to the diocesan office. 
  • Brick/Paver project – Barbara will check with an organization in Danville to see who makes their bricks/pavers. 
  • Copier vendor selection and selection of computer and monitor for JoAnn will be an email discussion.
  • Stained glass window preservation.  Del volunteered to research possible grants for historical buildings that we might be able to apply for.  See attached communication and proposal from Tom Mader.  Extensive discussion on the critical need to restore the windows. 
  1. A motion was made and approved to: Request St. Paul’s Historic Trust authorize expenditure $23,000 for restoration of the Chapel harlequin window.
  2. A motion was made and approved:  St. Paul’s Vestry authorize contracts with Rainbow Construction and McKeever Studios for restoration of the Chapel harlequin window beginning in April 2018, subject to Historic Trust approval of the requisite funding.
  3. A motion was made and approved:  St. Paul’s Vestry endorses a capital fundraising campaign beginning in April 2018 to restore the East and West Chapel windows, and offer the rights of window dedication to donors making contributions of $5,000 or more.  Included in the motion was the fundraising for restoration to all the  windows.  We would also like to see recognition in a group plaque those contributing in amounts less than $5,000. 

Meeting was adjourned at 8:56 p.m.  Fr. Peter shared a closing prayer.      

 

Submitted, Anne Seed, Vestry Clerk