Vestry Meeting Minutes

July  17, 2018

 

***NEXT MEETING AUGUST 21 , 2018***

SNACKS AND DEVOTION ?

 

Follow up items:

  1. The vestry liked the concept of a new banner, but could not come to closure on the best location for displaying it.   Barbara will talk with Fr. Peter.   
  2. Ski will update the vestry on the Brick/Paver project at the August meeting. 
  3. 3.  Annie’s first Sunday with us will be 9/2/18.   She wants the Sunday service schedule to remain as is for that Sunday.  Mark Sally will look into what special ways we need to recognize her first Sunday with us.  This will be a follow up agenda item for the August vestry meeting. 
  4. Kim will work with Steve on presentation item to Fr. Peter.
  5. Rectory Bathroom update – Del.
  6. Nursery clearing/cleaning update – Del.
  7. Carpet cleaning and power wash update – Del.
  8. Barbara will talk to JoAnn and Robin Silver about the rental income/shortfall and report back at the August vestry meeting.
  9. The status of the copier was discussed.   Expect decisions at the August vestry meeting. 
  10. Anne to provide to Mark and Yann a summary of assignments for “Safe Church” training. 
  11. Barbara to provide carpet cleaner company contact information to JoAnn.
  12. Barbara to ask Jim for assistance to Del for church pew that needs repair.
  13. Barbara to assess replacement of chair cushion in the church.
  14. Del to talk to Ski about gas line to backyard BBQ that is presenting a trip hazard. 
  15. Barbara to ask Julie MacKenzie for clarification about the St. Paul’s table at the Peddler’s Fair. 
  16. Ministry Fair for September 2018 needs to be an agenda item for vestry in August.

 

Present:  Barbara Jewell, Charlie Kilbourne , Del Baker-Medlock, Kim Rodekohr, Mark Sally, Anne Seed, Yann Jouvenot-Sells, David White

Absent: Rev. Peter Champion, Beth Gaines, Art Schipper (Treasurer), Bill Smiglewski,

 

Following a delicious dinner offered by David White, the July Vestry meeting on July 17, 2018 was called to order at 7:01 p.m.  David shared a brief meditation on the nature and meaning of serving.

 

The consent calendar was approved, including:

  • Minutes of6/19/18 Vestry meeting  
  • Treasurer’s Report,June 2018 (attached)

 

Ministry Reports

  • Youth and Family Ministry –The nursery room is a mess and is in dire need of attention.  Del will take the lead on clearing and cleaning of that space.  This needs to be done prior to this coming Thursday (expected fire inspection).   

 

Interim Rector’s Report

  • In Fr. Peter’s absence, Barbara reviewed his Interim Rectors’ Report (attached). 

 

Deacon’s Report – No report.

 

Senior Warden’s Report

  • Status on Weight Watchers’ contract revision:  Barbara has signed the contract and has sent it to Weight Watchers, but has not received it back from them yet.
  • Possible new banner sign:  The vestry liked the concept of a new banner, but could not come to closure on the best location for displaying it.   Barbara will talk with Fr. Peter. 
  • Barbara is working on a personnel policy for paid and volunteer staff.
  • 8/26/18 will be Fr. Peter’s last Sunday with us.  Details decided on include:  1 joint service at 10:00 a.m. to be followed by a finger-food potluck; cake, paper products and bulletin announcements (Anne).  Del will handle kitchen details day-of.  Thank you cards (Anne).  Remarks (Barbara).  Special recognition (Kim).
  • Rev. Annie’s first Sunday with us will be 9/2/18.   She wants the Sunday service schedule to remain as is for that Sunday.  Mark Sally will look into what special ways we need to recognize her first Sunday with us.  This will be a follow up agenda item for the August vestry meeting. 
 

Junior Warden’s Report

  • Before Rev. Annie arrives, the bathroom in the Rectory needs attention.  Del will look into.
  • Plans are in progress to power wash the Rectory deck and other areas of the church facilities.
  • JoAnn has requested the carpets be cleaned prior to Rev. Annie’s arrival.
  • Fire Inspection of facilities on Thursday.

     

Other Business

  • Pride flag feedback – Barbara received some very negative feedback from a passer-by.  Otherwise feedback has been positive, and among vestry members, very positive.
  • Barbara will talk to JoAnn and Robin Silver about the rental income/shortfall and report back at the August vestry meeting. 
  • The status of the copier was discussed.   Expect decisions at the August vestry meeting. 
  • Anne to provide to Mark and Yann a summary of assignments for “Safe Church” training. 
  • The vestry approved the purchase of one case of Prayer Books. 
  • Deacon Vicki will speak to her thoughts and experiences at General Convention on 7/29/18 after the joint service.
  • 8/19/18 special celebration for 20 years for the Community Meal program.
  • Please support G3 Back Pack collection!

 

The July vestry meeting was adjourned at 8:19 p.m. Barbara shared a closing prayer.

 

Submitted, Anne Seed, Vestry Clerk