Vestry Meeting Minutes  June 18, 2019  
***NEXT VESTRY MEETING, JULY 16 , 2019, 7:00 P.M.***  
Follow up items:
  1. Rev Annie to ask Robin to send out updated pledge statements.
  2. Reminders in the Sunday service sheets to continue with your pledge commitments during the summer months.   
  3. Barbara will ask Jim to look at the St. Paul’s banner to hopefully make the carrying pole easier for the person carrying the banner at Bishop Megan’s consecration service.   
  4. Rev. Annie to ask Lydia and Flower Guild if they will coordinate decorations for the September Garden Party fundraiser.
  5. Rev Annie to ask JoAnn to create a “save the date” postcard for the Garden Party. 
  6. Rev. Annie will look into using Event Brite for ticket sales for the Garden Party. 
  7. Large ticket donation items should be secured for the Garden Party by the July 2019 vestry meeting. 
  Present: Rev. Beth Gaines, Heather Healy, Barbara Jewell, Charlie Kilbourne, Del Baker-Medlock (Treasurer), Rev. Annie Pierpoint Mertz, Ken Nowinski, Kim Rodekohr, Mark Sally, Bill Smiglewski, Yann Jouvent-Sells Guest:  Anne Seed (substitute Clerk) Absent:  David White, Betsy Zampa (Clerk)   
Call to Order The June 2019 vestry meeting was called to order at 7:02 p.m.  Heather shared a meditation on the power of transformation.  
Consent Calendar A motion was made by Barbara, with a 2nd from Yann, to approve the May 2019 vestry meeting minutes as presented.  Motion passed. 
A motion was made by Yann, with a 2nd from Mark, to approve the May 2019 treasurer report as presented (May 2019 St. Paul’s budget is attached).  Motion passed.   
A motion was made by Kim, with a 2nd from Mark to approve the following Rector’s Housing Resolution as follows.  Motion passed.    “Whereas, the Reverend Annie Pierpoint Mertz is compensated by St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Benicia, exclusively for services as a minister of the gospel; and Whereas, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church does not provide Rev. Annie with a rectory; therefore, it is hereby Resolved, that the total compensation paid to Rev. Annie for calendar year 2019 shall be $80,000, of which $52,000 is hereby designated to be a housing allowance; and it is further Resolved, that the designation of $52,000 as a housing allowance shall apply starting on June 17, 2019 and all future days and years unless otherwise provided.”    The Rector’s Housing Resolution needs to be updated annually, so next in December 2019 .  
Reports Treasurer’s Report Del to create a line item on the budget to reflect the $1500 donation for office furniture for the rectory.   Discussion about pledges and different ways of making payments, including auto pay.  Rev. Annie definitely wants to make this part of next Stewardship program. Rev. Annie will ask Robin to send out updated pledge statements.  It was also suggested that the Sunday service sheets include notices to remind people to “pay up” during the summer, because church expenses continue .
Rev. Annie will work with our Associate Priests to make sure all supply clergy expenses are submitted.   Rector’s Report (attached)
St. Paul’s will be well represented at the Bishop Megan’s consecration service this month in Davis.  Discussion about the unwieldy carrying devise for the St. Paul’s banner.  Barbara will ask Jim to look into making it easier for the person carrying the banner.   
Deacon’s Report Deacon Beth gave a brief recap of the recent women’s pop-up clothing boutique for homeless in Contra Costa County.  Also reviewed the Saturday breakfast program in Vallejo. New team of folks working on the monthly contemplative prayer service; small but mighty!  
Senior Warden’s Report (attached)  
Junior Warden’s Report (attached)  
Special Reports/Discussion Items
  1. Via the DeWeese Fund, vestry will contribute $210 to the KVA carnival to be held this Friday.  This will go towards a bouncy house and a bubble machine and special snacks. 


  1. Extensive discussion on the September 2019 St. Paul’s Garden Party. 

Work teams include: Food – Yann Donations – Heather and Ken Alcohol – Ken Music – Ski Decorations – Rev. Annie to ask Lydia and Flower Guild to take lead Volunteer Coordinator – Del      

  1. Snacks/Devotion

July – Kim August – Charlie September – Ken October – Yann November – Del December – Kim January 2020 – Barbara  

  1. Vestry Host
June 30 at 11:00 a.m. service – Ken   Call for Adjournment was made by Ken, with a 2nd from Barbara.  Motion passed.  The June 2019 vestry meeting was adjourned at 8:43 p.m.    
Submitted, Anne Seed, Vestry Clerk (substitute)